Monday, November 26, 2012

The Five Habits Cheat Sheet

This is based on a handout I got from ISSA (where I received my certification) that I really like, so I thought I would share.

The Five Habits Cheat Sheet

1. When did you last eat?
* If it's been longer than 2-4 hours, it's time to eat.
2. Where is the complete protein?
*Are you about to eat at least 1 serving (about the size of your palm, or 20-30g) of complete protein? If not, find some protein. (Women get 1 serving, men get 2 servings)
3. Where are the veggies?
*Are you about to get at least 2 servings of veggies? Prepare them anyway you like, but eat them with every meal or snack. (1 serving is about 1/2-1 cup and your target is 5-10 cups per day)
4. Where are the carbs?
*If you have fat to lose but haven't just worked out, put down the pasta, bread, rice, and other starchy carbs in favor of a double serving of fruits and veggies. If you have just worked out, a mix of carb sources is fine.
4. Where are your fats coming from?
*Today you need some fat from animal foods, from olive oil, from mixed nuts, and from flaxseeds/flaxseed oil. Spread them throughout the day, but make sure to add them in.



Don't let this stress you out. Clean eating is a hard habit to learn and takes time. My goal isn't to lay a guilt trip on anyone, but to make you think. I like this cheat sheet because it makes me pay attention to all of the things that I eat that I shouldn't be eating. It is unlikely that you will have a perfect diet, but by paying attention to the the 5 rules, we have a much better chance for success in weight loss and/or maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment