Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Eat your veggies!

"Eat your veggies!" It's something we preach to our kids daily, but given the chance to examine our adult daily habits, we may likely find that our own diets are seriously lacking in this area. I don't want to admit it, but I will come forward here and tell you that I do NOT get my daily recommended servings of veggies. And that's so incredibly dumb of me because I absolutely LOVE veggies and could easily live off of them alone.

When I examine my habits and try to get to the root of the issue, I believe the reason I lack in this area is because I really hate grocery shopping and produce expires at a rate that keeps you hitting the grocery store more often than I'd like to visit. We all have our reasons or excuses for the things we do wrong, and what a lame excuse that is! But being completely honest, that is what gets in my way.

It is recommended that we eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. I will be honest and admit that I may get 2.... Lets make a deal here and all make a point to get our daily recommended servings. I hate the word "try". Notice I didn't say "let's try to get our daily recommended servings"..... "Try" means you're giving yourself an out. You either change or you don't. So let's get it done. No more excuses.

I wanted to share with you a story you may have recently heard about on the news about a couple in their 60's that have pledged to run 365 marathons in 365 days. For those of you that may not know, a marathon is 26.2 miles. I'm 37 years old and can only fathom running 2 or 3 marathons per year. I heard about this on the news and looked up the story online where I read that the wife had been diagnosed with cancer 10 years ago and given 6-12 months to live with treatment. She opted out of chemo and radiation and went on a raw plant diet and is alive and well enough to run a marathon every day this year. You don't have to search very hard to find story after story about the benefits of eating the foods that God has supplied us. What an amazing motivator. With cancer rates as high as they are, and diet seems to be the biggest blame, reading a story like that inspires me to get to the dreaded grocery store. It makes my complaint of having to make that trip more often seem so out of whack. Really?! This is what my excuse is? This is what gets in the way of healthy eating? Seriously.....

Here is a link to the story I mentioned above. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-01/couple-to-run-a-marathon-every-day/4449488
I encourage you to read it. How amazing are these two? They're spending REAL quality time together, making a statement, using their experience to motivate us all. I won't say this isn't radical, and I won't say I'd ever do this myself, but I enjoyed their testimony and did find inspiration in it. Hopefully you do too.

Go out and buy those veggies. Do some research about what the healthiest ones are, and the best way to prepare them. Just a little tip....the brighter the color, the higher the nutrients. Always buy bright fruits and veggies.

As always, please email me if you have questions, or need a little help figuring out where to get started on you health journey. Lacysfitnessblog@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment