Monday, February 25, 2013

Whoops!!

Now that we have a decent facility to workout in, and spring/summer is approaching, and we are finally settled from our move, I put in a lot of time working out last week. My normal routine is to take off 1 weekend day per week. I usually pick and choose it around whatever we have going on, and what the weather is like. Yes, we have a great new YMCA, but I'm a runner and prefer to be outside. On top of putting in additional exercise, I decided to pull back some calories to work on getting rid of my "winter fluff".

When running season hits, strength training gets harder as it slows a runner down. I did get more miles in last week, but I also got in a lot more weights and strength training. I planned on resting Saturday, but just couldn't resist the sunshine. I did get an extra run in, but it was soooo slow. I didn't really care because it was just a rest day workout. I enjoyed every second of it.

Like I said, I was cutting calories back. I had skipped lunch to go run again Sunday, so I wasn't properly fueled. I wanted to wait until later to eat. I messed up because I "hit the wall". That means everything was great until it wasn't. Yes, I had to call for a ride. I could've walked back home, but it was getting so cold and I was literally starving! I was so hungry that my stomach was on fire. So basically I had 2 bad runs in a row. Blah!

While I was running Sunday, I was thinking about what I would write about today. My plan was to talk about how easy it is to get caught up in your miles, but when you're on a weight loss journey, it's the time that you put in that matters most. No matter what you do, if you're not getting in an hour a day, those pounds aren't going to come off very willingly. I started to go ahead and write about that today, but I thought it would be good to share with you my own mistake.

I've been running for a few years. That's not long compared to most runners that have been running since high school. But I'm trained and I understand my own body. I know that if I don't fuel up properly, I will crash. I also know that this is true for anyone. I got focused on running, and forgot to take care of myself. I won't lie, I do this more often than I should.... It is easy to make this mistake. I tend to have blood sugar crashes while running if I have put in a lot of hours working out. It builds, and I know it.

I know this is a mistake I will make many more times. I am sharing this because I want you to see that even when you are conditioned, trained, and know what you're doing, you still mess up. You mess up, but you keep going. Sometimes you learn. I know I should carry some jelly beans or some gel shots for emergencies. I know I should, but I never do. Maybe one day I will change my ways. Ha I doubt it. See, we are all stubborn. I don't want to need a pick me when I'm running. I don't want to need to plan for that. I just wanna run.

Anyway, a real mistake from a real runner. Let's learn to be prepared together. Maybe one day I will use my frustration to start a Runner's Rescue business. You know, like someone you call when you're stuck on a country road 10 miles from home and need water or fuel because you don't want to have to pack all that stuff and carry it on your run? Or maybe I will pay more attention to signals from runners I pass by in my car and watch for signs of distress and help them out.

That's what I've got for you today.... I guess I'm venting because I didn't finish my run yesterday. Hopefully you are better at preparing than me. If you have stories to share, I would love to hear them. Have a great week everybody. Get your workouts in.

No comments:

Post a Comment