Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Goals

You already know that goals are motivating and keep us on track as we work to achieve what we want, but what is it that you want? What is your goal?

I've noticed that so many people set a goal, whatever it is, but don't exactly train to achieve THEIR goal. I've noticed that people often will go to random sources for advice, or follow along with a program that has little to nothing to do with their own personal goal. This leads to frustration. You're doing all this work. Trying your best. Going through the motions. But never accomplish what motivated you to get moving in the first place.

If you don't wish to be a body builder, why would you follow a body builder's regimen? If you're not training to be a runway model, why would you go about it like that's your goal? If you're not wanting to just get healthy, but desire to also be strong and fit, why would you only do half the work and focus on only one of the two goals?

We set these goals. We know what we want. Yet when we go after them, we crash and burn because we listened to so and so that had a goal of such and such that had nothing to do with our own wants and needs. Or we only did half the work. Or even worse....we never even tried.

Ask yourself what you want. Reflect on that today. No matter how far along you are in your journey, ask yourself what your goals are.

Here's a bit of advice. If you're goals have endings, you're doing it wrong. This is why diets don't work. They have an end and teach you nothing about how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you have a goal to learn to run a 5k, good for you! But, that better not be the end. I'm a little off topic, but this is important advice that you need to pay attention to in setting those goals. Be sure they are ongoing.

Short and sweet today, but hoping I gave you something to pay attention to. This is what was on my mind today.... I really wish all of you the best on your journey. You do have what it takes. Make sure you set goals that are right for YOU and YOUR life. Something realistic that you know you can accomplish. Don't be afraid to aim high. Never tell yourself you can't. I started running 3 years ago. A year after I started, I ran a marathon. I had asthma as a child, and still do, and always lived in fear of bringing on an asthma attack. Running has improved my lung health like I never expected. To the point that I never know where my rescue inhaler is anymore. That's huge because I used to be very dependent on that thing. I used it daily. I couldn't run .25 mile 3 years ago. So never say "I wish I could ....., but......" If you want something bad enough, make it happen.

If I can ever be of help in getting you on the right track, feel free to email me. I am also available for training. My goal is to help people that are needing to change by showing them how over a few months and also to help with accountability. And if I do my job right, you won't need me forever. I want to give you the map to your goals. You will learn that exercise can be fun, new habits are easy to make, old habits aren't that hard to break, you CAN accomplish any goal, weather is not an excuse to stay inside, and how to stay on track while "life" happens.

You don't have to go alone. Email me and let's talk. I want you to succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment