Thursday, December 6, 2012

Designated Gear

It's natural to kind of categorize our wardrobes. We have certain things we wear to work, out on dates, casual wear for just everyday life, etc..... It's unlikely that you would put on a beach dress to attend a business meeting, or wear your work clothes to clean the house.

Society sort of sets standards on what is appropriate attire for designated functions, and we go along with that. And that's good, in my opinion. What happens is that you mentally associate certain articles of clothing with specific events. So when you put on a certain outfit, you're mentally prepared for whatever you are about to do.

Athletic wear can be comfortable. A lot of people lounge on the couch, watching TV, eating cookies, in the same shirt and pants we would wear for our workout. And in most cases, there is way more time spent lounging in those clothes, than there is working out in them. This is a bad idea! When you start to confuse laziness with the total opposite of laziness....what do you think is going to happen? When you put on those sweat pants, your brain starts thinking "it's couch time".

I have certain shoes and clothes I wear for running and working out. When I put them on, I get a little fired up. They make me feel mentally focused on what I'm about to do. Plus I get a lot more wear out of them by doing this.

It is important to have designated gear that prepares you mentally for your workout. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I encourage you to buy good stuff. You may not be the type of person that has discipline issues, but for those of you that need all the pointers you can get, you need to try this.

Hope this gives you something new to think about and helps you get and stay focused. Email me anytime you have questions or just need pointers or encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment